Sunday, July 02, 2006

Off to see the Elephants

The days just seem to fly by here in Namibia, and today it is just a week untill I leave.. I don't know how the days manage to go so incredibly fast, the days just never seem to have enough hours.. Since I got to Windhoek I have gotten a lot of interviews with different organisations and people working with different sports for development projects here in the area. There are a lot of interesting projects and facinating people with many great ideas! Yesterday I went to a huge football tournament that one American lady arranges for over 500 kids every Saturday!

Otherwise I have gone shopping for some really nice souvernirs, and although my bargaining skills are not the best, they are improving - and I actually made a deal I was quite proud of yesterday. I am now planning to buy an African drum, but a friend of mine is going to help me with that, since he said that they will ask much more from me since I'm a tourist. So now the only problem will be actually getting the thing on the plane.

And from tomorrow I decided to take a few day's vacation, and go on a safari up to the Etosha National Park. It is a camping safari, and I have to say that I wonder how it is going to be sleeping in a tent, since I normally sleep with two duvets, two blankets and a sleepingbag - indoors! (people told me that it would be cold here this time of year.. but I don't think I managed to imagine quite how cold...) But I have survived quite a few camping trips in Iceland, and surely Africa can't be colder than that! Anyway, I can't wait to go up to Etosha, and I really hope to see some Elephants, Giraffes, and Lions - oh, and not to forget the Meerkats, of course!

I hope you are all enjoying the summer!
I am going to try to stay in a safe distance from the lions.. I'll tell you how it went on Wednesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

moro å lese om opplevelsene dine, og godt at alt går bra- både faglig og alt utenfor :) Gleder meg til å se bilder når du kommer hjem!