Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Darkness and Coffee-Hunt

Wow wow wow!! Hold on a second. Is this as light as it gets?? Needless to say, I am back in Tromsø. But I am not the only one to have arrived - so has mørketid. The couple of months in the year where there is no sun, and when it basically looks like it's midnight all day round. I have tried to prepare. I sucked in every bit of sunshine that I could from Namibia, and I hope they will keep me awake for a few days extra.

I am not so sure my tactic worked, though. Because after looking out of the window of the reading room only for a few minutes - out on nothing but darkness - I felt the desperate need of coffee to be able to keep my eyes open. Apparently I am not the only one. Because we went to Mix - but they were out of milk. OK, so we tried the cafeteria. Nope, their machine was out of order. Hmm, the pharmasy building is known for their good coffee, right? Well, not today. Their machine was tired and waiting for reparations! (The pharmasy-cafeteria was forgiven, though, after offering us some free gløgg and christmas feeling). But to wake up, I had to go back to the reading room to make myself a cup of strong, but yucky-tasting instant coffee.

I wonder if anyone has done a study of how much the coffee-consumption in Tromsø goes up during Mørketid. It would be really interesting to know.

1 comment:

Silje said...

I don't know about Tromsø, but personally I sometimes feel like Fry in Futurama when he sets out to drink 100 cups of coffee in two days. Coffecoffecoffeecoffecoffecoffeecoffe...

Quote:
Bender: You seem a tad wound up, buddy. And your face is greasy. Real greasy. You been up all night?
Fry: Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee! I need a nap. (He falls asleep, then wakes up) Coffee time!

Haha, hilarious! :D

And here's another quote, just to let you know you're not alone having a hard time with coffee machines:

Fry: Yeah, uh, I'd like a cup of coffee, please.
Coffee Machine: Would you like cream?
Fry: Yes, please.
Coffee Machine: OUT OF CREAM!
Fry: Oh, uh, OK.
Coffee Machine: Would you like sugar in your coffee?
Fry: Yes, uh, eight spoons.
Coffee Machine: OUT OF COFFEE!
Fry: Uh, Leela, I think there might be something wrong with the coffee machine.
[The machine sprays Fry with coffee.]
Coffee Machine: HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?


(think I need some coffee...)